Are you thinking of texting your ex but know it’s probably not a good idea? You’ll be glad to learn you’re not alone. In fact, many people struggle with this issue, so you’re in good company. While it may be hard, breaking the connection with your ex is one of the most important steps you can take to move on after a breakup. With that in mind, a few tried-and-true strategies can help you successfully avoid texting your ex.
1. Unfriend, unfollow, and block – One of the best ways to avoid texting your ex is to unfriend, unfollow and block them from your social media accounts. Restricting their access to your life means less temptation for you and will also save you from being bothered by notifications about things your ex is doing. Plus, when you take away the ability to text them the urge to contact them will be greatly reduced.
2. Learn to recognize the triggers – It can be incredibly difficult to take the time to identify your triggers. But doing this can be a huge help when it comes to avoiding texting your ex. Figure out why you feel the urge to contact them and then use that knowledge to create a plan of attack if you ever find yourself on the brink of texting them. This plan could include something as simple as going for a walk or talking to a friend instead of contacting your ex.
3. Make yourself busy – Oftentimes, the urge to text your ex can come from having too much free time and lack of mental stimulation. Staying busy is a great way to focus your energy elsewhere and take your mind off of your ex and the temptation to text them. Try activities such as taking up a hobby, exercising, or managing a side project.
4. Distract yourself – Keeping yourself busy is one of the best ways to avoid texting your ex. But actively trying to divert your attention to something else can be just as effective. Watch a movie, take a hot shower, get lost in a good book, or blast your favorite tune. Whatever it is that works for you, just make sure it’s something that you enjoy.
5. Don’t let your emotions take over – It can be tough to avoid sending a text to your ex when you’re feeling down or lonely. But understanding how your emotions can lead to making bad decisions can help you to stay strong and avoid texting them. Take some time to breathe and remind yourself that in the long run, cutting all contact is the best option.
6. Delete their number – Of course, even if you unfriend, unfollow and block your ex from social media and distract yourself it can still be difficult to resist the temptation to text them if their contact information remains in your phone. So, deleting their number from your contact list is essential. This will not only prevent any accidental texts, but also give you a sense of closure as you prepare to move on.
Remember, texting your ex may bring some short-term comfort but it can ultimately be damaging in the long run. By taking the right steps to block social media access and deleting their number, you can make sure you’re putting yourself in the best position possible when it comes to avoiding texting your ex. With a few helpful strategies, you can successfully stop yourself from contacting them and moving on with your life.